If you are thinking about buying a new PC or laptop, there are many parameters to consider. Some of them concern your Operating system and the question of the right Windows version. Have you been convinced by the advantages of Windows 10 Pro? Even if you already have the basic version, an upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro is always possible.
Because even private users can benefit from the extended scope. Basically, however, the Windows 10 Pro however, tailored to use in a professional environment . Especially the self-employed or those working in a home office will enjoy the diverse functions that set the system apart from Windows 10 Home differentiate it from other systems. We’ll tell you in detail here which advantages you actually have and whether the price and upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro are worth it:
Once you’ve made the decision, the hard part of the transition is actually already behind you. With the right prerequisites, the upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro can be done in just a few clicks. We show you what you should pay attention to.
The upgrade process – explained step by step
As a rule, you should not have to carry out a complete reinstallation or other cumbersome actions. If you get in directly, an upgrade can be Compatibility check may be worthwhile. Then the only question is whether you have a practical product key or use a digital licence of Windows 10 Pro.
Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro with a product key
You have obtained a Windows 10 Pro Key from your trusted vendor and are in possession of the 25-digit key.
Did you know: With keyportal every purchase comes with an activation guarantee. So in the rare case that the product key you get immediately doesn’t work, you’ll get a replacement right away. That’s our promise to you. Not without reason is the Customer satisfaction so high.
You then start the upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro as follows:
- Open the settings of your operating system on your device. The quickest way to access these settings under Windows 10 is to press the Windows logo key + I. Alternatively, you can also press the cogwheel symbol in the Start menu.
- Select the Update and Security section and the Activation tab on the side. Here you will see detailed information about your Windows version.
- Under the item Update Windows Edition, click on the link Change Product Key. The assistant will now ask you to enter your Pro key.
- Confirm with Next. After a short validity check, the installation of the extended features starts. A final restart ends the process.
Congratulations, your upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro was a complete success. Now you can use any Remote Desktop Connection or enjoy more freedom in managing future updates.
Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro with a digital licence
The process looks very similar here. First of all, however, you should be sure that you are logged in with the correct Microsoft Account at the time of the upgrade. The previous Home Edition should only be stored in this account. Then proceed as follows:
- Open the Windows 10 settings again as described above (Windows logo key + I).
- Via Update and Security you will find your way back to the Activation tab.
- With the appropriate account, you should see the option Call Store under Update Windows Edition. Click on the link.
- Now all that remains is to clarify whether you already have a digital Pro licence or whether you have to purchase one first. In the first case, the link to your Microsoft account should be recognised automatically and you can click on Install.
- Otherwise, the Store will redirect you directly to Buy. Check one last time that you are logged in to the correct account.
- Start the installation and upgrade. After a restart, your PC is fully operational.
Caution: The switch and upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro should be carefully considered. Because the path is only as simple as described above in one direction. When downgrading back to the Home Edition, you will not be able to avoid reinstalling your operating system. You will need your old product key for this. So it is better to make a note of your Windows 10 Key in advance.
If you have any further questions about the upgrade process or are struggling with a specific problem, you can use our Installation instructions can help you.